Monday, December 3, 2012

The Problem With Sterotypes



The problem with stereotypes is that they are always wrong. You can’t assume someone is a certain way because of the color of their skin or the clothes they wear.

 I am pretty sure I’m going to blow a gasket the next time a Walmart cashier assumes that I am on welfare or WIC. 

We braved Walmart yesterday with our three small children. The place was overcrowded with impatient people and frustrated employees. We grabbed a few items, my husband took the baby to the car and I stood in line with the girls. Our cashier was flustered and having some difficulties with the cash register. She scans the line and shouts back “I’m sorry my register won’t accept WIC or Welfare cards right now”. I look around; everyone seems to know she is talking to me. I’m not sure if is my brown skin, three small children or the fact that I was wearing a pair of jeans and a T-shirt that made her assume I was on government assistance. I resist the urge to chew her up and spit her out. I guarantee it would a conversation she would never forget but I’m in the holiday spirit. I look at her and smile “oh honey I’m not on welfare, nor have I ever been”. 

You can’t judge a person by looking at them. I don’t have a problem with welfare, some people really need it but I do have a problem with people judging me. You will never know that I have saved a few lives or that I was entrusted with the lives of Soldiers by looking at me. You will never know that I struggled to have my children, that I left a career to raise my babies.You will never know that I am one of the toughest, strongest, and most determined women you will ever meet.

I look at the women scanning my items. She has a tired face, and overworked hands. I want to make a snide remark about her being the one working at Walmart but I don’t know her story. I want to make assumptions about this women that I’m sure wouldn’t be right. Instead, I look her in the eyes and wish her a merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment