Saturday, February 26, 2011

A milestone

My daughters just got over their first cold. I take a deep breath and try to swallow the lump in my throat. They will never know how big of a milestone this was for us. This time last year my daughters were still on apnea monitors. My Sofia spent 64 days in the hospital with severe apnea. She was perfectly healthy except for the fact that she would forget to breath while she was sleeping or sometimes while she was eating. Her heart rate would drop as mine nearly beat out of my chest. Our doctor warned us that if either child caught the slightest cold she would immediately admit them to the hospital. We couldn't survive another stay in the hospital. It had taken us so long to get both girls home. I missed my Sofia so much when we had to kiss her good night and leave her there in such a strange place. It was not the way a child should start out in life. Instead of the warmth of my arms and the reasurance of her sisters touch she had become accustomed to the beeps, alarms and hospital lights. My life quickly became one of solitary confinement. Day in and day out I cared for my beutiful daughters with out leaving our home for fear that I would catch something and give it to them. My husband constantly washed his hands and worried that he would expose us to something he had been in contact with at work. It was hard and lonely but we survived. Fast forward to today. My husband was on shift while my two little girls ran around with runny noses with out a care in the world. I'm so thankful for Gods everlasting presence in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment