Saturday, September 22, 2012

NICU PTST

I finally managed to write an article about my daughter Sofia. She was in the hospital for over two months when she was born. The entire experience was heartbreaking. I know most parents of premature babies suffer some sort of PTSD. I just didn't expect to be one of them. I have three healthy, happy children and so much to be thankful for. I'm not sure why it is so painful to think about the girls in the NICU. I think in some ways I feel cheated. I waited so long to have children. I didn't get the excitement of taking a pregnancy test in the privacy of my own bathroom. Instead, I was in a cold, sterile room in a clinic with a doctor holding my husband's sperm in a tiny container. IVF was such a huge blessing and the end of a bleak time in my life. It was a new beginning. It is terrible how sometimes we can forget how badly we wanted something. The journey of having children was so difficult for us that I almost forgot to catch my breath when I finally found out I was pregnant. I went through a terrible phase of "why me" when the girls were born early. I can look back now and see how far we have come. Sofia's Story of Survival

No comments:

Post a Comment